Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Letter to Dad & Questions from Mom

Questions

1.  Tell us about Fairbanks now that you have been there a while.
What do you like?  Dislike?

It is still way too hot. I love the zone and how much our unity is
building. We are still trying to build good relationships the ward
right now, that may take some time. I love the scenery of Fairbanks,
some of the drives are just gorgeous! A place that you definitely have
to visit in the Summer.

2. Tells us about your companions. What color are they?  How ,long
have they been out?  Were they companions before you got there?  I
always hear a threesome is hard. Do you agree?  Why or why not.

I am not 100% sure on their personalities yet, but I think that E.
Na'a is a Blue with Red or Red with Blue. E. Leota is a Yellow with
Blue I believe. E. Na'a has been out for twenty months and E. Leota
has been out for eleven months. They were companions before they got
here, yes. It always depends on your companion, whether or not a trio
is hard. It is tricky with certain things, like having member presents
at lessons or tracting. It is fun tho, an interesting dynamic that is
for sure.

3. Did you move since you got there?  What is your place like?  Do you
know the address yet?

I do not know the address yet, sorry. Yes, we did move, the new place
is so hot, we often sleep without the sheets on at night to stay cool
and have two fans going.

4.  What do you think about Rands idea to shadow someone?

I think it is a great idea, one that I will definitely do when I get
back; I need to decide on what I want to do for a career and I really
think that will help.

5.  What are you doing for the 4th of July?  Anything special?

Not that we know of yet. Probably going to some big activities and
events to get our image out there.

6.  How are the members in your ward? Is it an older or younger ward?
Do they feed you most of the time?

Seems more older. They feed us on and off, more on the off side I
would say. Like I said earlier: we are still building our
relationships with them.

7. How is it going for you with no nights  - mostly all sunshine?  It
was 102 here today!  Are you adjusting to the hot weather there?

Trying to adjust to the hot weather still, I have no idea how I will
survive in the desert of Utah, but we will cross that bridge when we
come to it. It is not problem sleeping at night, I usually go to bed
really tired anyways :)

8.  What was the funniest thing you did this week?

It usually takes too long to write out some of the funny things that
happen during the weeks. I will have to tell you all of the funny
stories when I get back - plus I cannot think of anything right now :)

9.  Do you have any questions for us?

It is hard for me to focus right now because I am e-mailing at the
mission home and other missionaries are talking, so I do not have any
questions at the moment.

10.  Did you get the packages we sent?  The one with the protein bars
- be sure and tell us which ones you like if you want more of them.

They were sent up to Fairbanks last week, but we are in Anchorage
right now for ZLC, so I will get them when we go back :)
 
 
Dear Dad -

This transfer has been an interesting one, it was very challenging at
first due to cultural differences, but now, after studying the Christ
Like attribute of Charity and love, it has been so much better.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from you - and hands down the
most important in my opinion - is to not make life about yourself, but
to make life about others. After doing my best to embrace that (still
much room for improvement) it has made the biggest difference in the
world.

I am always praying for you and for a speedy recovery for you, it is
always so nice to hear about your health returning rapidly, I hope you
get to go back to Africa soon and get back to work, they need you out
there.

A cool experience I had the other night while praying; during my
personal prayer before I retired to bed, I was thanking Heavenly
Father for all of the blessings in my life and doing my best to
recognize His hand in this work. As I kept on praying, a little vision
went thro my mind. You and I were up at our cabin in Sundance -
probably my most favorite place in the world - just out walking
enjoying the weather. It was a clear blue sky day and we were out at
the park down the street where the kids often to play. You and I
walked there and sat down and just started talking about our missions
and the things we learned. I have a big regret: not having those
conversations with you and not being nearly as considerate to you in
times past as I should have been. I have learned from my mistakes now
tho and could never thank you enough for the invaluable lessons you
have taught me in my life. I look forward to having those awesome
conversations with you and just talking about anything and everything
with you - the best dad in the world. I look forward to those days
where just you and I are kicking it, it will be such a blast :) I love
you dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment